Forums for members of The Immortals, a Christian League of Legends clan.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Guide to Ranged Physical Carries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Klippo

PostSubject: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 am

General Guide to Ranged Physical Carries - Corki, Tristana, Ashe, Vayne, Ezreal, Kog'Maw

Hello Forum,
I am a seasoned player of several hard carries - roughly of the physical variety - and I have learned several techniques through watching my opponent(s) in the laning phase.
I have witnessed countless mistakes as well as surprising decisions against me and I have chosen to learn from these aspects of combat and now I give them to you.

Primary Philosophy to Mid/Top Solo-laning - Harrass without self-harm, last hit for riches, and awareness of the map.

Harassing and Last Hitting

Establishing dominance early in lane is crucial to your success as a hard carry, but over aggressiveness will send you back to base whether through the "B" key or through death.
The key to success for harassment is to harm your opponent worse than your opponent (and minions) will harm you in return. Staying in lane early is valuable early in the game for most cases
and returning to base before your opponent is usually a bad sign.

But how do you outlast your opponent? Starting items are very important and I would not recommend items such as level one boots/health pots or pure health regeneration. Why? Doesn't this help me lane longer than my opponent? It may appear so, but tapping (running in to hit an opponent and running out before a returned attack) with these kinds of items will result in a heavy 1v1 combat disadvantage. I would highly recommend a starter item such as Doran's Blade (Doran's Shield for Ashe) which will provide you the ability to stand and fight. The extra health will prevent reaching low health too quickly, while giving you sustainability (lifesteal) and the KAPOW factor of bonus damage.

The actual strategy for physical carries in lane is to run back and forth just out of reach of your opponent, while last hitting your minions, until the enemy auto attacks a creep or is obviously going to hit a creep - IMMEDIATELY attack the opponent once followed by a spell (Corki - Phosphorus Bomb, Ezreals - Mystic Shot ect.), if you can safely without sustaining too much minion damage follow this up with another auto attack. Every time you do this, your opponent should receive much more damage than you receive. Within two to four cycles of this, you should be ready to nuke the opponent hard enough to send him back to base with a revive timer.

Making the "kill move" should always be taken with precaution -
1) Does the enemy have a jungler? If yes, do you have any idea where he is and is he level 6?
2) Are the other lanes missing? Is your opponent predicting your "kill move" and asking for a gank at your initiation?
3) Are your opponents summoner spells available? If yes, can your waste your opponents summoner spells without wasting your own?
4) If your opponent decides to stand and fight, does he/she have an offensive spell that may turn the tide of battle?

I will not discuss each of these questions in this guide individually; however, I highly recommend having thought processes such as these when entering any fight. Knowing the chances of success is the supreme key to entering kill or be killed fights.

What is last hitting and why should I do it and when?

As in the real world, gold becomes more valuable as time goes on. Gold will lead to advantages in solo and team fights, which will net you more kills and more gold.
Every 15 minion kills is worth 1 champion kill (~300 gold) and therefore you MUST have them!! Take every minion kill you can through Last Hitting.
Last hitting is a term designated to...wait for it...NOT auto attacking creeps for gold. Last hitting involves saving auto attacks until the creep is one-hittable or at a very low health. Why is this a good thing? Trust me..it's a good thing. This behavior allows for you to reach your goal of receiving gold from minions! This should give enough value to last hitting, but there is another convincing effect. You will not be pushing your lane too far toward your opponents tower. Pushing too far out into enemy territory (anything past the halfway mark) may place you into unnecessary danger. There are times when you will want to push the enemy tower, but these times come only when either have full view or localization of the enemy (wards/map awareness) or you have a safe escape route. Continue to accrue wealth throughout the game by minion killing and jungling when possible (once the jungler is no longer jungling or is not jungling effectively).

Helping Your Team, REALLY

Physical carries are meant to be fed, but once you are filthy rich and rolling in trinity forces/infinity edges ect, what can you do to help your team win the game?
I have played quite a few games as a non-carry and witnessed a teammate become ridiculously fed only to lose the game because they did not follow a few simple guidelines.

1) Gank when possible and optimal
Ganking is a necessity. It is often very difficult to win games that last more than 30 minutes with only one fed player on a team. If your teammates are not doing well in their lanes, take red buff in jungle (if applicable, ask the jungler for permission first) using a rushed item such as Wriggle's Lantern, which is my favorite item in the game by far for physical carries (non-Ashe). Ganking should be relatively easy, unless the opponents have warded the nearby bush. If so, force them to use defensive summoner spells so that you can return again for a fail-safe gank once the ward is decayed or through the use of an alternate path. Waiting for opponents to overextend (push too far out into their lanes) is the perfect time to gank. Make sure to notify allies when ganking their lanes through chat/ping.

2) Take Dragon When Possible
Dragon kills provide each player with 190g. That's 950g for your team! Physical carries, when built with a Wriggle's Lantern and a complementing item such as Sheen, can easily solo dragon from starting at levels 6-9 depending on the champion. If you have a jungler on the team, either assist or initiate the dragon and ask for help. Before starting any dragon, either have vision of the enemy team or place a ward (Wriggle's Lantern) in the central bush toward middle lane. Being ganked at dragon often ends in the provision of over 1000g to the enemy team (190g x 5 + 100-300g) from your death. An escape route is as important as ever, if you have a champion that is able to travel over walls - be ready to either hop over the back side of dragon or hop over another ledge. Similar rules apply to baron, but on a larger TEAM-BASED event.

3) Show Your Presence in Team Fights, Safely
You are the carry, You are the carry. You are not the passive-aggressive shiny faced anime action hero sitting in the back of fights waiting for an enemy champion to get to low health. You are the carry. Stand WITH your teammates, safely harass and eliminate your opponents but show your presence. You will hit them hard, but they will be willing to do the same if you do not hit them hard enough - but do this safely. If you have far-ranged harassment (Ashe, Corki, Ezreal, Kog'Maw) use them frequently before the team's commit to full out conflict. You are the carry, do not waste a flash or a Valkyrie or a hop or anything that may get you killed and ruin your team's chances of pushing/winning a fight. Save these for moments when you are targeted - trust me you will be targeted - or when you must use them to guarantee a safe kill.

4) Never Rage at your Team, Period
Do not blame tanks/support for your death - it is not their job to babysit you, protect yourself and your team by optimizing damage and safety. Do not type "ks" "ksks" "omg ks" or any other variations of this silly remark - ks means "kill steal" a kill is a kill for team and the spread of gold (even to tanks) is often heavily understated as a necessity. Assists will net your team more gold overall - a kill with only one killer will net ~300g, but an assist on this kill will add 90g+. Do not complain if you lose and you have a good Kill-death ratio while your teammates have lackluster scores. It was a team effort to lose the game and if you blame your team completely for the loss, then you are forgetting the times you did not gank lanes for your team or the times you did not effectively fight in team battles or the times you did not steal enemy buffs. Raging at your team will only lead to senseless chatter, afk'ers, Riot reports, lack of unity, and self-deprivation of fun.

5) Do Not Give Up
If these strategies do not work for you, feel free to contact me in-game. I will be more than happy to walk you through itemization/masteries/skill order and exact play-style for these champions. Everyone has bad games, do not let the random chance that your first game as a ranged physical carry ends poorly put you down. Try and try again, you will develop your own strategies for outlasting and accruing more gold than your opponents.

EXTRA INFO

Why did I place Ashe as an outcast in nearly every point of this guide?
Ashe is one of the oldest characters in the game. She was implemented before League of Legends even entered Beta and I feel this is reflected in her play style. Ashe is one of the lowest hitting hard carries in the game initially. I start Ashe with a Doran's Shield instead of a Doran's Blade because even when confronted by the other solo, you are not likely to out-damage them in the harassing phase and the opponent will likely attempt to prevent you from auto attacking creeps if you have a lifesteal item. Doran's Shield provides you with the ability to farm up effectively by staying in lane for a long period of time. Save up for a pair of tier one boots and a B.F. Sword before returning to base if you can which will eventually turn into Infinity Edge. Ashe's early playstyle is not as aggressive as the other listed champions, stay back and farm every creep if possible. Harass champions that overextend or cross into your minion zone. Why is Wriggle's not necessarily good on Ashe? Ashe lacks any accessible escape abilities other than summoner spells, which makes stealing enemy buffs difficult and costly. Ashe also struggles with dragon when compared to other champions. She is better kept as a hard hitting carry used for initiations, which requires heavy mid-game damage from Infinity Edge.

IMPORTANT:Why is the outline of my opponent Gold or Orange?
This indicates that the opposing player is targeting you with a spell or auto attack. When this occurs in laning phase, quickly run toward your tower until the opponent's outline returns to normal - turn IMMEDIATELY and use a spell/autoattack them because if they decide to turn and attack you in return - You'll have the Power of Minions.

Power of Minions
Use the minions to your advantage. If an enemy crosses onto your minion side and auto attacks you, your creeps will react and defend you by attacking the other champion inflicting major damage (no joke). This can often change the tides in your favor, use an offensive summoner spell when this happens if the enemy continues to fight you.

The Glory of Wriggle's Lantern
Wriggle's Lantern is a very cheap item for its usage. It provides a free ward with a cooldown equivalent to the ward's lifetime. It allows you to effectively stay in lane with a view of river (free ward), a very large amount of lifesteal, armor for enemy minion and champion damage, a 20% proc rate to minions for massive damage (allowing you to steal enemy red/blue buffs, dragon ect.). These stats, early to mid game, are very useful and function well in most situations.

Have fun everyone,
Klippo

Last edited by Klippo on Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bayne66

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 am

Also, if I could make an addition, I would probably insist that a ranged physical carry take precedence in mid over a ranged AP carry, if that wasn't mentioned.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JebezzalJoHey

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 12:21 am

@Bayne I think that's situational. Look at the WCG (2010), they had Tristana solo and Vlad go mid in one game. I know there's a few other/better examples, but the top lane is almost better for farming. Farm away from the jungle, far from Dragon, ect. So if you have a jungler, top lane is almost just as good/better as mid as far as farming. This is really situational though.

Good guide though. Maybe you could explain mid/top pros/cons?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bohemian Rhapsody

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 3:09 am

i've been playing Ashe and ashe only since i first joined LoL 3 months ago.
There is one point that i strongly agree with kippo: the most reliable protection a ranged dps has is choosing the right position during team fight.
btw i'm much better laning against 2 champions on top rather than soloing mid and wriggle lantern is useless for me, i rather buy madred razor> madred bloodrazor if i have to face someone like rammus or malphite!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klippo

PostSubject: @Bohemian Rhapsody   Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 am

I completely agree with you about not using Wriggle's on Ashe Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JebezzalJoHey

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 am

I really like your guide, especially what you added, and I agree with almost everything... except Wriggles.

I've never liked Wriggle's on Ranged AD Carries; and I've main them forever, like as long as I can remember. I completely see how it's great, but why not get Emblem of Valor? It's like 800 gold to the Wriggles like 1.6k gold, gives only 1% less lifesteal, plus regen. The Wriggles only advantage is the free ward, and the proc for last hits. If you're farming correctly and not pushing your lane, you won't need the ward. Even if you bought wards and Emlem, to go up to the amount of gold needed to get Wriggles you'd have at least 10 wards. At 3 minutes per ward, that's still 30 minutes into the game before Wriggles starts making up for the cost. Although some games that's about when you want to sell it.

What are you thoughts on Emblem v Wriggles? I'm not saying Wriggles is bad, I just feel it's too expensive, and delays your build too much, for what it gives.

Edit: Precise prises/lifesteals

Wriggles v Emblem
18% v 17% lifesteal
0 hp regen v 10/5sec
1,600 gold v 800 gold

This does not account for the armor, damage, or procs from Wriggles, although that's not why Wriggles is good ;P.

Also, sometimes Wriggles (and Emblem even) isn't good for certain games. What I mean is, for the price of Wriggles it'd be better just to get a BF sword (which is barely more expensive) in those games where the laning phase ends early. Wriggles > BF sword in lane, but BF > Wriggles in teamfights, which is important when some games are "farm till lvl 18 and right click to win," while some games are "Wow my team fed/wow we're fed time to push and win at 15 minutes."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sephir0t

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 am

very nice guide even though im not much of a ranged carry type of person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PastorJaKe

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 am

Kilppo,
What do you think about stacking two or even three Doran's Blades? I've seen good success with it because it gives me massive laning and farming potential. I mean, if I can stay in lane long enough to farm 2000 gold for boots and BF Sword then I will 100% of the time go boots and BF, but I have yet to be able to do it. Also, I've tried taking Teleport on my Ranged carries, farmed up and harassed until my opponent has to recall. Then I push the lane hard, still trying to last hit while pushing and spamming abilities. I recall to buy and teleport back to lane. This usually doesn't lose me much gold or XP at all because the lane was pushed to their turret and my minions will be getting picked off by the tower, meaning the lane will reset to mid by the time I return. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OnTehBrink

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 1:40 pm

In response to JaKe, I have had very good success in stacking Doran's items on any of my characters. The only item I don't stack is the shield, but I have stacked Doran's Blade before on Ashe and Teemo once and they have had great success.

That is one thing I hvae noticed is that you should never underestimate the power of the starting doran's items. They have some of the best bang for the buck and give you nice advantages.

For instance playing Teemo, he is one of the few range carries I play, I always stack 3 dorans before I go into the rest of my build. One reason being is it throws the enemy team off of what I am doing, they do not see the exact build, they see 3 dorans and think "????" sorry if that was offensive but it is true.

I have never really stack the Ring yet, or really have tried because I mostly play ryze, but am starting to experiment more with my builds atm. It is one of my specialties, I love looking for alternative ways to building champions.

But in general, the range carries need to be aware.

The one AP carry IMO that should take precedence in mid is Vlad, because his Q is no cost to him and restores his health. Not to mention he is a tank and it normally throws people off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klippo

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Fri May 13, 2011 2:11 pm

@PastorJake
I recently talked to someone who claims to consistently play against Reginald/Hotshotgg/Bigfatlp about stacking 2-3 Doran's items. He said this build is usually done in response to being unfed whether through minion kills or champion kills. Personally I am not a fan of these builds because it you're buying something that will be replaced, which makes me feel like I have to earn kills just from the Doran stats alone to break even. However, it does help a lot with health so if you find yourself too squishy and unable to farm it might be a good idea to get a second Doran's item - I refuse to do this though lol.

@JebezzalJoHey
It could be personal preference for Emblem vs Wriggle's, but I prefer Wriggle's for the ward and mainly for the armor and proc. I really try to take buffs early and gank and the proc helps a lot for very quick lizards and golems. The armor also provides a lot of early damage mitigation and I use magic resist blue runes to help even it out. All of this makes for a very annoying Corki to fight against.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkarim

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Sat May 14, 2011 5:32 pm

very nice guide i rly never thougth about hitting my opponent when he is last hitting very good idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etteril

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Sun May 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Sooo...I tried out the whole Doran's Shield thing for the first time on Ashe. It was very strange (I usually go boots and pots because I am a chicken) to change it up, and Doran's items make me sad because they don't build into anything, of course. But I did lane against what turned out to be our two biggest threats, and I held my own, so it worked out! (Only died once, and took Jax out with me)

Anyway, great guide. Support is my favorite role to play, but I love the concept of rdps and I think they are very crucial to a team!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PastorJaKe

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Sun May 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering what the response was the thought of taking teleport on mid lane champs. I know it's something that a lot of top laners do so that when jungle is ready to take dragon they can tele to the ward the jungler places with their wriggle's. But what about Mid? I think that champs like Tristana and Corki, who don't NEED flash to escape ganks, could make good use of teleport for a quick recall after a champ kill and/or after pushing the lane hard to shop and not miss an entire wave. I can see this maybe not being good on Ashe, who really should have flash/ignite or flash/exhaust because of her lack of escape mechanisms. So again, the example would be to get the champ kill, push the wave very hard directly to their tower and then recall, buy, and by the time you tele back the waves should be evened out back in the middle of the lane and you're good to keep farming safely. Whatcha think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkarim

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

PastorJaKe wrote:
Hey guys,
I was wondering what the response was the thought of taking teleport on mid lane champs. I know it's something that a lot of top laners do so that when jungle is ready to take dragon they can tele to the ward the jungler places with their wriggle's. But what about Mid? I think that champs like Tristana and Corki, who don't NEED flash to escape ganks, could make good use of teleport for a quick recall after a champ kill and/or after pushing the lane hard to shop and not miss an entire wave. I can see this maybe not being good on Ashe, who really should have flash/ignite or flash/exhaust because of her lack of escape mechanisms. So again, the example would be to get the champ kill, push the wave very hard directly to their tower and then recall, buy, and by the time you tele back the waves should be evened out back in the middle of the lane and you're good to keep farming safely. Whatcha think?
well, why not Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shaavan

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   Sun May 15, 2011 9:44 pm

PastorJaKe wrote:
Hey guys,

In my personal opinion Ghost/Flash is mandatory for a ranged carry. A lot of top players also say and/or do this on their streams except for very few circumstances. For instance most Urgot's (who's more of an Anti-Carry by denying mid early game farm and then fall's off late game) take exhaust, to completely eliminate damage output from the enemy if they pick a fight with him. Ignite on ranged carries is something I don't agree with as well unless you're laning against someone with a self heal ability. Most champions auto-attack is longer then the ignite cast range as well as being in ignite range puts you uncomfortably close to the enemy team during a team fight. Positioning is key and you never want to be close enough to be CC'd or caught even with the defense of your team around. These are just my personal opinions on the subject though, so take them with a grain of salt.

Also well written Klippo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guide to Ranged Physical Carries   

Back to top Go down

Guide to Ranged Physical Carries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1